What can you do when you see illegal dumping?

Pop quiz: You see a beat-up boxspring, mattress, and couch, illegally dumped on the side of the road where you live. What can you do?

Boxspring mattress and couch 08-05-14

a)      Complain that everybody except you is irresponsible, then go on about your day.

b)      Rent a truck and dump the eye-sore on somebody else’s property.

c)       Call the Mayor on speed-dial and give her a piece of your mind.

d)      Pay your neighbor’s teenage son $20 to chuck the offending articles in the bay.

e)      Contact the City of Oakland’s Public Works Call Center and report the illegal dumping.

Obviously, the answer is a… I mean e!

There are four easy ways to report illegal dumping to the City of Oakland’s Public Works Call Center:

1)      Call (510) 615-5566, between 800am – 4:30pm, Monday – Friday.

2)      Email pwacallcenter@oaklandnet.com.

3)      Use the mobile app http://www.SeeClickFix.com.

4)      Visit http://www.oaklandpw.com, then click on ‘Report a Problem.’

Please be sure to include in your report the amount and type of debris and its location. Never touch hazardous or medical waste.

If you happen to witness the illegal dumping, please provide the following information to assist in apprehending and prosecuting the illegal dumpers, if you feel it’s safe to do so (please do not attempt to directly intervene):

  • Photos of the incident (with as many of the below in the photos as possible).
  • License plate number and a description of any involved vehicle(s).
  • A description of the offender(s).
  • A description of item(s) dumped.
  • The time, date, and location of the incident you witnessed.

If you take these simple, appropriate actions, the Public Works Call Center will be made aware of the issue and they can send a team out to investigate and address the problem.

Keeping Oakland Beautiful is everybody’s business.

We encourage you to share your thoughts in the reply section. We welcome the dialogue and learning of others’ perspectives.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply